THE PICKETT MONUMENT

Pickett monument
The newly inscribed Pickett monument. The General's wife Sallie (who wrote under the pen name "LaSalle") was moved from Abbey Mausoleum in Arlington and reinterred next to him in 1998.
The granite and Confederate gray bronze monument that sits over the grave of Major General George E. Pickett was commissioned by The Pickett Division Association, surviving members of Pickett's Division, during 1887 and was to be placed at the High Water Mark of "Pickett's Charge." The Gettysburg National Military Park declined to allow the monument to be placed on the battlefield, so Pickett's soldiers decided to have it erected over their General's grave in Richmond's Hollywood Cemetery instead.

The six bronze tablets on the monument reflect the commands of Generals Pickett, Armistead, Kemper, Garnett, Corse, and Dearing. Although striking in appearance, the structure has not been readily recognizable as a grave marker; visitors to the site often mistake it for a monument to the Gettysburg dead.

On January 30, 2000, members of the Pickett Society had planned to come together to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the General's birth and to unveil an inscription on the monument giving Pickett's name and rank. Although a winter storm disrupted plans for the ceremony, it is the hope of the Society that all who pause at the monument will now know -- beyond a doubt -- that they have seen the final resting place of a famous Virginian.

Close-up of the inscription

A close-up view of the new inscription. The work on the marker was done by A.P. Grappone and Sons.


To return to The General, close this window.
This page is http://www.pickettsociety.org/monument.html
Created: 8-21-00
Last modified: 2/5/10
For more information about the Pickett Society, please contact info@pickettsociety.com.
To make comments about this page, please contact the Webmaster at webmaster@pickettsociety.com.